Meet DJ Sumirock, the World’s Oldest DJ Who Started Her Career in Her 70s
Sumiko Iwamuro, also known as DJ Sumirock, is a truly inspiring individual. At the age of 86, she holds the Guinness World Record for being the oldest professional club DJ, and she shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. I was lucky enough to discover her story, and I must say that I was immediately impressed by her incredible journey.
Sumiko is based in Tokyo, where she runs a dumpling restaurant during the day and DJs in clubs by night. It’s not every day that you hear about an 88-year-old woman who still actively DJs in clubs, but Sumiko has been doing it for over a decade now. Her monthly residency at the DecaBarZ nightclub in Shinjuku is a testament to her passion for music.
When it comes to the music she plays, Sumiko is not one to stick to a particular genre. She plays a mix of techno, jazz, French chanson, and classical music, which gives her sets a unique and eclectic sound. I find it incredible that someone her age is still so open-minded and willing to experiment with different types of music. It’s clear that Sumiko is not one to be limited by her age, and she’s not afraid to try new things.
Sumiko’s journey as a DJ began at the age of 77 when a friend held an event at her restaurant, which was a techno party. Someone asked her if she wanted to try DJing, and she said yes. After that, she went to DJ school, which she found to be very challenging. But she persisted, and now she performs at Tokyo DecaBar Z regularly. Sumiko’s DJ name, Sumirock, was chosen by her friends, combining her first and second names.
What I find most impressive about Sumiko is her love for music. She revealed in the Midnight Asia docuseries that music has been a daily essential for her since she was young. Her father was a jazz drummer in his youth, and he undoubtedly influenced her love for music. Sumiko said that music is just as important to her as food, which is a sentiment that I can relate to.
When I saw DJ Sumirock’s Instagram page, I was delighted to see that she’s still actively pursuing her passion. Her page is filled with pictures of her behind the decks, wearing wigs, sunglasses, and hats, and posing with many of her fans. It’s clear that she’s still having fun with what she does, and it’s refreshing to see someone her age still so engaged with life.
DJ Sumirock is an inspiration to all of us. Her story shows that it’s never too late to pursue your passions, and age is just a number. She’s an example of someone who has truly lived life on her own terms, and that’s something that we should all aspire to do. DJ Sumirock is proof that if you have a dream, you should go for it, no matter how old you are.
As a DJ, staying healthy and active is crucial for a successful and long-lasting career in the music industry. It can be challenging to maintain a healthy lifestyle while constantly traveling, performing late nights, and being surrounded by alcohol and partying. However, by implementing these 15 tips, you can prioritize your health and well-being and improve your performance as a DJ.
- Prioritize sleep and aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout your set.
- Take breaks to stretch and move around to prevent muscle fatigue and stiffness.
- Practice good posture to prevent back and neck pain.
- Wear comfortable shoes that support your feet and provide cushioning.
- Take regular breaks from loud music to protect your hearing.
- Avoid smoking and limit alcohol intake to keep your body healthy and strong.
- Eat a balanced diet rich in nutrients to fuel your body for long sets.
- Pack healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, and veggies to keep you energized throughout the night.
- Use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones to protect your ears from high decibels.
- Stay active and exercise regularly to improve endurance and prevent injury.
- Avoid late-night fast food binges and opt for healthier options instead.
- Take care of your mental health by practicing self-care, meditation, or therapy.
- Keep your gear and workspace clean to reduce exposure to germs and bacteria.
- Stay connected with friends and family outside of DJing to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Remember, staying healthy and active as a DJ can help you perform better, enjoy your job more, and extend your career longevity.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.